- Ultra-exclusive BMW M4 DTM Champion Edition confirmed for Australia
- Built to commemorate Marco Wittman’s 2016 DTM championship, driving the BMW M4 DTM. This follows an initial title in 2014
- Australia to receive 10 examples out of a 200 global unit allocation
- Australian vehicles to receive commemorative plaque
Direct transfer of motorsport technologies from racetrack to road
- Priced from $295,000*
German racing driver Marco Wittman has enjoyed a special relationship with BMW Motorsport since his debut in the 2013 Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters, better known as the DTM.
Continue reading Fit for a champion: The BMW M4 DTM Champion Edition confirmed for Australia
- Premiere for the first John Cooper Works model of the latest generation in the premium compact segment; new MINI John Cooper Works Clubman combines authentic race feeling with the most space, everyday practicality and long-distance suitability ever realised in a model of the brand; drive and suspension technology developed based on motor racing expertise, the all-wheel drive system ALL4 as standard and the versatile interior enable unique flexibility in terms of both driving properties and functionality.
- Extreme driving fun and an exclusive aura due to the precisely harmonised package of engine, suspension, aerodynamically optimised exterior and sports car flair in the cockpit that is typical of the John Cooper Works models; the distinct vehicle character is given additional emphasis with model-specific standard features including LED headlamps, MINI Driving Modes, Park Distance Control, Comfort Access, Radio MINI Visual Boost, multifunction buttons on the steering wheel and cruise control with brake function.
Continue reading The new MINI John Cooper Works Clubman
- John Cooper Works now launches the second top athlete of the new model generation; new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible invites racing fans to enjoy extreme driving fun in a particularly exclusive way; unique vehicle concept in the small car segment combining authentic racing feel with intense open-air enjoyment, complete with the premium quality and mature product substance of the new MINI generation.
- Thrilling performance properties and extrovert charisma; drive, suspension technology and aerodynamics developed on the basis of well-established racing expertise; distinctive design features in the unmistakable style of John Cooper Works and clearly differentiated from the new MINI Convertible.
- 2.0 litre 4-cylinder power unit developed exclusively for John Cooper Works models; current engine generation with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology as the basis; fascinating performance characteristics and highly emotional sound development due to distinctive design of pistons, turbocharger and exhaust system; the most powerful engine in the MINI portfolio with 170 kW/231 hp; output increase of 15 kW/20 hp as compared to the predecessor model and 29 kW/39 hp as compared to the new MINI Cooper S Convertible: maximum torque: 320 Newton metres;
6-speed manual transmission as standard, 6-speed Steptronic sport transmission available as an option; combined EU fuel consumption: 6.5 l/100 km (automatic:
5.9 l/100 km, combined EU CO2 emissions: 152 g/km (138 g/km).
- Extremely sporty acceleration and elasticity figures; 0 – 100 km/h in 6.6 seconds (minus 0.3 seconds) with manual transmission and 6.5 seconds (minus 0.6 seconds) with Steptronic transmission, 80 – 120 km/h in 6.1 seconds (minus 0.7 seconds); top speed increased by 7 km/h to 242 km/h (automatic: 240 km/h).
- Power transmission to the front wheels; high-quality suspension technology with set- up geared perfectly to the vehicle concept and engine performance characteristics; standard trim includes Brembo sports brake system, 17-inch John Cooper Works light alloy wheels Track Spoke silver and speed-related Servotronic steering support; Dynamic Damper Control available as an option; Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) as standard with DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), EDLC (Electronic Differential Lock Control) and Performance Control.
When passion for motor racing is the driving force and intense open-air pleasure the goal, the new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible takes the ideal line from the word go. The second John Cooper Works model of the latest generation combines engine and suspension technology optimised for use on the race track with distinctive design and equipment features as well as the extensively refined qualities of the new MINI Convertible. This lends even greater fascination to the vehicle concept of an open-top 4-seater with outstandingly sporty performance properties that is still unique in the small car segment Continue reading The new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible
On 26 April 2001, the first MINI came off the production line at the steeped-in-tradition manufacturing site in Oxford. Since the relaunch of the British brand, more than 2.5 million vehicles have been manufactured at this location.
Munich/Oxford. Today the employees of the British MINI plant in Oxford are looking back to the 26th of April 2001. A new era began exactly 15 years ago at the Oxford production site, which was steeped in tradition already at that time. This is the date the first MINI to be produced after the relaunch of the brand came off the production line – a MINI Cooper in Chili Red with contrasting white paintwork for the roof and the exterior mirror caps. Both for the location and the brand, a unique success story began when the first small car of the premium segment rolled off the line. Since 2001 more than 2.5 million MINI vehicles have been manufactured in Oxford and sold in more that 110 countries worldwide.
Continue reading MINI celebrates 15 years of premium driving fun – made in Oxford
From the October 1991 issue of Road & Track
The German town of Hockenheim is perfect for comparison tests. In addition to having one of R&T European Editor Paul Frere’s favorite Greek restaurants—essential for discussing the cars after a good day of driving-it also affords access to the freedom of Autobahnen, the beauty of country roads and the majesty of Hockenheimring, a world-class race circuit nestled in the woods.
From Ingolstadt, Munich and Stuttgart we gathered an Audi Coupe S2, a BMW M3 Sport Evolution and a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II and lined them up, toe to toe and tire to tire, in and around Hockenheim. There could be no more fitting a place for these three makes to square off than Hockenheim. After all, full-on race versions of the BMW M3. Mercedes 190E 2.5-16 and Audi V8 have been chasing each other around Hockenheimring, Nurburgring and other tracks and street circuits all year in pursuit of the victor’s trophy in the Group A German Touring Car Championship.
BMW Team SRM took a weekend-high 13th result from the fourth and final Australian GT Championship race at Albert Park, despite once again falling on the wrong side of a crucial Safety Car period.
Driver Max Twigg made a brilliant start to the 25-minute race, charging his way from 18th on the grid to 12th in the space of a couple of laps.
He then continued his charge into the Top 10, getting involved in a tight battle for position in the race’s latter stages.
Unfortunately, a small ‘moment’ with around 10 minutes to go cost him several positions and the chance of Top 10, before, like yesterday’s race, the Safety Car was brought out.
Still, with 13th position, Twigg and the BMW Team SRM squad came out of the final race happy with another weekend of progress.
“It was positive for everyone,” said Twigg.
“The car was strong – the engine likes the cool air.
“I was determined today. The last lap was a clear lap and it was two seconds faster, which was as quick as the lead car. The car had the pace.”
Continue reading Australian Grand Prix weekend ends on a high for BMW Team SRM
BMW Team SRM will compete in every round of both the 2016 CAMS Australian GT Championship and the 2016 CAMS Australian Endurance Championship.
With the first brand new BMW M6 GT3 now landed in Australia, BMW Team SRM and BMW Group Australia have elected to expand the 2016 program to include all six rounds of the CAMS Australian GT Championship.
That means the stunning M6 GT3 will make its competitive debut at next month’s Clipsal 500.
The ‘sprint’ calendar also includes rounds at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne, Barbagallo Raceway in Western Australia, Phillip Island, Townsville, and Highlands Park in New Zealand.
BMW Team SRM will also compete in all four rounds of the CAMS Australian Endurance Championship, which features two 101-lap races in Australia (Phillip Island and Sydney Motorsport Park) and two in New Zealand (Hampton Downs and Highlands Park).
“I think we all got pretty excited when we found out we were allocated a car for January, and that moved the goal posts for us,” said BMW Team SRM owner and driver Steve Richards.
“It gave us the opportunity to work towards a full program for 2016, and it was an opportunity we didn’t want to miss. So we all put our heads together and made it happen.
“The extra races will be hugely beneficial when it comes to learning the idiosyncrasies of the new car, as well as how to best utilise the fantastic technical support we will have from Germany.
“The earlier we sink our teeth into the program, the better off we’ll be when it comes to those endurance races later in the year.”
BMW Team SRM and BMW Group Australia are also delighted to confirm that the M6 GT3 will run number 100 for the 2016 season, in celebration of the BMW Group’s 100-year anniversary.
“The arrival of the new M6 GT3 is a very big part of the centennial celebrations, and we have been able to confirm the number of the car with the Australian GT Championship organisers,” said Marc Werner, CEO of BMW Group Australia.
“This is the icing on the cake for us.
“I am proud to announce that the official number designation of the BMW Team SRM M6 GT3 will be vehicle number 100. We believe this is a perfect fit for BMW, emphasising our performance heritage and the motorsport DNA that is inherent in our brand.”
CAMS Australian GT Championship
Round 1 – Clipsal 500 – March 3-6
Round 2 – Australian Grand Prix – March 17-20
Round 3 – Perth Super Sprint – May 6-8
Round 4 – Phillip Island – May 27-28
Round 5 – Townsville 400 – July 8-10
Round 6 – Highlands Park – November 11-12
CAMS Australian Endurance Championship
Round 1 – Phillip Island 101 – May 29
Round 2 – Sydney Motorsport Park – August 26-28
Round 3 – Hampton Downs – October 28-30
Round 4 – Highlands Park 101 – November 13
- BMW’s eDrive plug-in-hybrid models will be available from $71,900* for the BMW 330e Sedan and $118,900* for the BMW X5 xDrive40e.
- Models reinforce BMW’s commitment to sustainable mobility by offering a plug-in hybrid alternative within the brand’s two highest-selling model ranges.
- eDrive platform delivers fuel efficient motoring and low emissions while retaining trademark performance with each model capable of completing urban commutes exclusively via electric power.
- The BMW 330e Sedan possesses an electric range of up to 37km; while the BMW X5 xDrive40e can travel 31km via the same power source.
- Both vehicles have an extensive list of standard specification, showcasing trademark BMW innovation and technology, including eDrive specific features such as Acoustic Protection for Pedestrians and ConnectedDrive eDrive Services.
- The BMW 330e Sedan also includes 19-inch light alloy wheels, LED headlights, Head-Up Display, DAB+ Digital Radio, Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Surround View with 360 degree visibility and Comfort Access.
- Among the features on the BMW X5 xDrive40e are 19-inch light alloy wheels, adaptive headlights, ‘Comfort’ adaptive suspension with Dynamic Damper Control, Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Surround View with 360 degree visibility, Comfort Access, leather upholstered dashboard, DAB+ Digital Radio, Harman/Kardon surround sound system, and auto tailgate.
- The BMW 330e Sedan and BMW X5 xDrive40e are available from May this year.
BMW Group Australia has confirmed pricing and specification of its eDrive plug-in hybrid models ahead of the launch of the BMW 330e Sedan and BMW X5 xDrive40e in May.
Starting from $71,900* for the BMW 330e Sedan and $118,900 for the BMW X5 xDrive40e, the introduction of an eDrive variant across BMW’s two highest selling model ranges underlines the brand’s commitment to remaining at the forefront of sustainability.
Continue reading Local pricing and specification confirmed for BMW plug-in hybrids